GoodReads Facebook Pinterest Instagram Email
Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Birthday Books

Who doesn't love a good read?
Something uplifting, inspirational... happily ever afters?
A book that you can read over and over again and never get tired of?
Here are some books that I received for my birthday that are
"all of the above" and recipes too!
Stitched Together by Jill Finley is filled with fun projects and the setting of the book revolves around her annual family retreat of women. Her style is so fresh and her projects are so sweet...
like this little pincushion above! Here is a little You Tube video, actually two, that her family did. Evidently this is an annual event as well. The second video is better than the first, but you can see that they are all
so fun and creative!
And this project... do you see the ric rac used in it?
 
and Sew Serendipity by Kay Whitt.
I love the clothes she has designed. The dress I wore this summer at my son's wedding was one of her designs. Her patterns flatter women of all sizes. Her instructions are super clear...
so that even I can understand them! Seriously!

I usually just wear jeans these days. But I love the skirts and dresses that are in this book.
Casual enough but can be made into dressy too. Throw on some leggings and you could get some extra mileage out of the season with this skirt. Maybe?
Anyway, her blog shows her latest T.V. stint, here is the YouTube link for viewing it and a
great camera case pattern that is in her new book that she is about to release at market!

This is a really awful picture, sorry, but I wanted to show you this pincushion out of Country Inn by Blackbird Designs.
I showed a few other pictures from this book a week or so ago. (when it was somebody else's book)  
But this little hexie pincushion
was a cute idea... for all you hexagon makers out there.

This Friday will be a little showing of iron board covers from people who took on the Great Cover Up Challenge. If you want to enter in... make your cover (there was a tutorial last month) and send  a link to me or to Sherri, at A Quilting Life, with your post that shows your before and after pictures!
You have until Friday!

Posted by Picasa

12 friends stopped by to chat:

Vesuviusmama said...

Those clothes ARE great! You say they are easy to follow directions - even for someone who has never sewn anything except a straight stitch in a quilt? I'm intrigued, but not really confident about my abilities.

Thelma said...

Great books, Thanks Sinta...I really like the looks of the hexie pincushion......will have to give that Country Inn book some thought.....I'm not sure how, but out of all the patterns I've bought, I've never bought one from Blackbird Designs, and I'm not sure why, I love their stuff!

Never say never, but I don't see me making any clothes anytime soon....if ever, I don't care how cute the pattern is!

Denise :) said...

How fun! When was your birthday?!? (And *happy* birthday to you!) I only wear skirts, so I'm forever looking for different, pretty skirts. I'll have to check her patterns out! :)

Regena@QuiltnQuiltthings said...

I will need to look into those books. I wanted to stop and let you know my "cover up" ironing board has been posted. Thanks
Hope you have a grat day
Regena

Unknown said...

I am such a big fan of Blackbird Designs and their new book is a must have!!!
I wanted to let you know that the pattern for my basket quilt is actually called "Trick or Treat" and was originally done in halloween primitive colors...I thought I would try it in 30's fabrics and I love it...the pattern is in the book,"When the Cold Wind Blows" by Barb Adams and Alma Allen!
♥ Eileen

Cindy said...

Thank you for the heads up on the books, Sinta. Love the garments. I used to make all my garments but not as many anymore because of not working outside the home at this time.

I L O V E that pincushion. It looks "vintage" to me. How awesome !!

Béa said...

My new cover board has been posted, just in time....hugs !

Laura said...

My ironing board cover was posted a couple of weeks on my blog. I cant wait to see everyone's creations.

Cori said...

Great books, great gift, I like the pincushion. I agree the clothes are nice. I love the rick rack and the fabric choices for the skirts.

an encourager said...

happy late birthday! i love your birthday books... and that adorable hex pincushion

Sherri said...

Hi Sinta, Got your last e-mail...my e-mail provider's site is down....but I figured out since my internet is up I could leave you a comment here. How about if you do everyone on the list you sent except Cindy...that will give you 9 and me 8. But I probably won't be able to post until tonight? I'll give away the same prize that you are...thanks!

Kelly@ Charming Chatter said...

Thanks so much for sharing your books with us - lots of cute things to make!