GoodReads Facebook Pinterest Instagram Email
Thursday, December 30, 2010

A Tribute To A Symbol

 I have seen this poster all of my life.
I have always loved what it symbolized.
This was a WWII recruitment poster from 1942.
She represented women who were the unsung heroines of WWII.
The women who helped pulled our nation together and worked in the factories, built the planes and were the nurses who cared for the soldiers... and some women- even flew the planes!

 This is the photo that inspired the poster. This is Geraldine Doyler.
She was 17 in this photo.
Geraldine passed away on Sunday, the day after Christmas. Bless her heart. She was born in 1925.
It was only by fate that she became the poster girl.
She had only worked in the factory for a few weeks when this picture was staken and she actually didn't even know that she had become the symbol for women's empowerment  for a long time.  

This is a book that I have had since I started quilting by Blackbird Designs.
(I think I have collected all of their books)


I have always wanted to make the quilt in this book.
It has 12 different blocks and the stories of 12 women who had served our country.

Each  block features a center star. The stars represent the service star that families placed in their windows to recognize sons and daughters in the armed forces.
Why don't we do that anymore?
Anyway,
I think that this will be my first project to start in 2011.
A tribute to a symbol and a tribute to our service men and women.
I wish them a safe return home and I am
wishing you all much happiness in the New Year!

16 friends stopped by to chat:

Michelle said...

I admire the symbol too! And what a lovely project to start the new year.

Happy New Year!

Messy Karen said...

i peeked at the other layout of the quilt and said ooh i like that one. such a thoughtful first project.

Anonymous said...

Its a beautiful quilt, and rich with history, it will surely become your all time favorite quilt.
Wendy

Jocelyn said...

Very interesting background about Rosie! What a beautiful quilt. I am sure you will love it when it is finished. Wishing you a Happy New Year!

Linda said...

Love the history! Yes make the quilt, it's gorgeous!

Michele said...

That would be a fun quilt to make! I like how you put the LePetite blogs on your blog list :) How nice to have them in one place! Happy New Year!

www.randomthoughtsdoordi.com said...

I have his book, too. It is filed away with my "projects to do SOMEDAY"...you have inspired me to take out the book and look it over to make a plan to do a project from it in 2011.Thanks!

Cindy said...

That is one of my favorite books also. So interesting. Maybe someday! The star banners you mentioned are used by many military families still today. My son in law is a Marine and I have made several service star banners for Marine families. You can find directions online and they are really appreciated.

Cheryl said...

I love that book and the quilts in it. The stories, however, are the best. Great project for 2011. Happy New Year!

cottonfieldfarm said...

Oh what a wonderful idea! I also love the poster for what it represents. My mother was one of those women who worked in an airplane factory assembly line. Her first husband was killed in the war, leaving her with one 4 year old son and another one on the way. Oh brings tears to my eyes thinking about those brave men and women of the 40's, or any time of war. Thank you for sharing the tribute. The quilt idea is wonderful too. Yes, why don't we put stars in our windows representing our service men and women? My husband and I stayed in Simpsonville at a B & B in a large Victorian home. The owners had a star in their window for their son! Keep up the good work and God bless. Please stop over at the farm and visit when you have time. I have a button with Rosie on it! Happy New Year!

cottonfieldfarm said...

P.S. I'm grabbing your button for my blog. I tried to follow, but the system must be down. Will keep trying.
Regina

Sherri said...

Happy New Year...looks like another book to add to my list, too! I've always loved that photo from the past, too!

Meredith said...

I read about her passing today. Such inspiration the women were at that time. The quilt is very pretty.

Teresa F. said...

What a wonderful way to start the new year.I'm sure it will be a gorgeous quilt.
Happy New Year!

Miss Hillbilly said...

Sounds like a perfect new project. Very fun!

Kelly@ Charming Chatter said...

What a great post! I saw it on the news that Geraldine had died - can't wait to see that quilt!