GoodReads Facebook Pinterest Instagram Email
Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Something New - Simple Things!


I started something new!
I am probably the last one to show my "project start" for
Simple Things quilt along that Kelly from Charming Chatter and Carol at Brown Quilts
started up. But I'm "all in" never-the-less.

I had a hard time deciding between Carol's large version of the quilt
or Kelly's cute little version. I have to be honest... reading the part of how
many 1 1/2" pieces made my brow lift!
  So I looked at the cutting instructions for Carols' Simple Things quilt and thought that the larger one would actually be a little easier/quicker for me.
 I wanted to use my vintage sheet collection for it but in the end I picked my charm packs of Dream On and a small mix of vintage sheets.
And although I am going super size, I stayed with the lighter, brighter colors Kelly at Charming Chatter did hers in and I plan to somehow figure out how to make the border of her smaller quilt on the large quilt.
So, maybe it wasn't the easier route after all.


I also decided to make the flying geese units  my preferred way ...
you know, the easy way! I'm guessing that it won't be any easier than
the way they have instructed but it's my plan and I'm stickin' to it!

So,  you can see that once I committed to the cutting..

I'm hummin' right along now. I'll be caught up with the rest of the group
...soon.


I also got things prepped for my FQS BOM Block 1.

It's just a happy block. I was kind of thinking of making a second block of each block and
have two quilts when I'm done.
I'll have to come back tomorrow to show you the pictures of my weekend projects.
Those photos were blurry.

Posted by Picasa

14 friends stopped by to chat:

Linda said...

You'll have two very pretty quilts when you finish! Can't wait to see them!

trish said...

Your quilt along fabrics are so cute!! I have just one of those charm packs and am saving it for something extra special. :o) And I am swooning over your flower block!!! I just love the pattern and the fabrics!! :o) Beautifully done!
Sincerely, Trish

Sandie @ crazy'boutquilts said...

Love your Simple Things blocks! :-)) I recognize a few sheet pieces in there. And your BOM looks great! Happy stitchin'!

Anonymous said...

Nope, you're not last. I haven't posted a thing on it yet and am only about halfway done cutting. Hope that makes you feel better - ha ha! Dream On is great fabric. Can't wait to see your finish.

Darlene said...

LOL - I haven't posted anything related to my Simple Things quilt - so you're not last. LOL I want to do make both sizes - sigh - but here I sit. LOL

Cyndi said...

Oh Sinta, that quilt is going to be gorgeous with those Dream On fabrics...they are some of my favorites. And adding in some of your own vintage sheet stash will be great! I really love that FQS BOM that you made....absolutely happy and fun and pretty!

XOXO,

Cyndi

Brooke said...

I made some little notebook covers for Christmas presents last year using Dream On. The entire time I worked with that fabric I was tempted to make sheets for my bed. :-) I love the vintage sheet feel!! It is such a fun line, and I'm anxious to see your finished quilt. It will be precious.

Tammy said...

I just got my BOTM too! So excited to sew it together. What a great idea to do two at once!!!

Anne Heidi said...

Nope- you are not the last one... I still need to get rolling on my big quilt.... Your fabrics are so pretty, you'll have such a beautiful quilt!

retrorevival.biz said...

Gorgeous, happy colors for your quilt. Looking forward to seeing progress pictures:)
~Cindy

Josie McRazie said...

Yay to see someone else in the simple things!! I am going on vacation and will start when I come home! Counldn't decide big or small, but you may have helped make my mind up! Thanks!! Can't wait to see your progress!!

Dandelion Quilts said...

I have some Dream on just sitting and waiting for the perfect project. Cannot wait to see how yours comes out.

Thelma said...

Sinta, you crack me up, so you're going to have two finished quilts out of that BOM! Good Luck, I'm sure you can do it. I love what you've got going with Carol and Kelly's sew along, great fabric choices, I love to work with summery fabrics this time of year. I'm with you, Kelly's border is wonderful. When I saw it I thought "I need to keep that border in mind for the next time I "Thelma-ize" something.

I'm thinking about joining the Farmer's Wife Sew Along, are you giving that any thought? I bought the book but would like to go with 3 or 4 inch blocks instead of the 6 inch ones in the book.....still thinking it over.

Sherri said...

Love the fabrics you are sewing with! And the FQS block is such a happy block...I loved making two a couple of years ago...hmmm...maybe I should make another too!