GoodReads Facebook Pinterest Instagram Email
Wednesday, August 19, 2015

A Chance of Rain

I'm not talking about true weather conditions.

I have been bouncing around with good news and bad news on the blog here...
it seems like every week it's one or the other!

Last Friday my day started early...
a cup of tea brewing, letting Leo and Lottie (the cats) outside.
It wasn't but a few sips into that cup of tea when I heard "danger".
I ran out to find a coyote vs. cat situation!

I grabbed fire wood from the nearby stack and started throwing them
into the bushes... to where the growling sounds came from.
The coyote came out with my Leo in his mouth.
I threw one more piece of wood with good aim and hit the coyote.
The cat got free. 
He even actually ran after the coyote that had given up!
Then Leo ran up a tree.

I coaxed him down...
but he more or less fell and I caught him just in time to break his fall.
I got him inside... and Lottie too.
But although there was no bleeding... he was hurt.
He didn't stay with us very much longer.


It just breaks my heart.

I have this photo I love of him "assisting me" in the
quilting room. 
Such a sweet boy.


The next night the hubs and I went out to a play
but when we got home we saw mayhem! 
My wall shelf unit that holds my precious china nick knacks 
from my
grandma and her mother had fallen off the wall!
The nails were still in the wall... I just couldn't understand!?!

There were a few pieces that were salvaged... several others that
I hope to repair... a lot that are beyond help.

So, if you have any good ideas on this subject... please share them with me.
I will be happy to just have them in tact again.

Some battles you can not necessarily win... but you can weather through.






30 friends stopped by to chat:

kristie said...

I am so sorry for your loss of Leo.

laura black said...

I feel ur pain, I live on a ranch 30 miles out of Austin. My favorite outdoor kitty Charlie suffered the same fate as yours. He was the only kitty (and I have had lots over the years) that actually gave kisses! I am so sorry your Leo is gone, he looked like a real sweetie!

sunny said...

Oh I am so sorry to hear about Leo! How devastating. what a beautiful boy.

Anita said...

So sorry to hear about Leo, at least he got to spend a little more time with you instead of not knowing his fate. Hope you can salvage some of your items, it's always heartbreaking when priceless items get damaged. Hope you have a better rest of the week.

Strlady said...

Well these are definitely on the down side. There are no words to express how sorry I am for the loss of your beautiful Leo.
Unfortunately, I have no suggestions on the china. I hope you can salvage more than you thought.

Needled Mom said...

Oh gosh, Sinta....what a terrible, horrible, very bad week you have had. We lost our dog to a mountain lion a few years ago and it was awful. I am so sorry about Leo and I am also sorry to hear about the shelf. I have no recommendations for you.

Beth said...

Oh, Sinta. My heart breaks for you. It must have been a comfort for Leo to be with you at the end, and I'm glad he had that--that you both had that.

I don't have any useful suggestions for repairing your china, but I did see pieces of china placed in a garden recently--along a walkway, peeking out from moss or underneath flowers. There were broken plates where the broken half was stuck into the ground and the intact round stuck up and it looked very pretty. I know that is nothing like what you had and treasured, but finding a different way to keep the china a part of your home environment might be a comfort.

Please know that loving thoughts go out to you.

xxx Beth

Hildy said...

Ah, Sinta, I'm so sorry about Leo he was a beautiful boy!
Don't have any ideas about your china but hope you can repair at least some.
Lots and lots of hugs:-)

Susan said...

So sorry! I hope the days ahead are much better!

linda diane said...

I am so sorry that you have had such bad things happen. There must be many bright moments ahead.

Debra said...

Oh, this just breaks my heart. I am so sorry that you lost Leo.. such a beautiful and sweet kitty. I am so, so, sorry for your loss.

Polly said...

Oh, Sinta! I am so sorry for the loss of your dear Leo! You were brave to rescue him and you know then that he passed with you and not in a horrific way!

Christa Marcotte said...

Losing a pet is so hard. They are part of your family. Always unconditional love! I have lost many and breaks my heart every time.

KMSC said...

So very sorry for your loss of Leo!

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

Not good at posting. My sister sent me your link. So sorry about your loss. My sister worries about her little one as there are coyotes in the canyon where she lives.

badlandsquilts said...

So sorry for your loss and rough week.

Heather said...

Oh my goodness, you have been hit pretty doggone hard this summer haven't you. I had a cat that a coyote got once, it was awful. Sending lots of hugs. There will be light soon, the tunnel cannot last forever.

Sherry said...

I was sorry to read about the loss of your sweet cat. We have not lost an animal that way but my sister has and it is always hard. I hope you are able to repair many of your little treasures.

Anonymous said...

I am so sorry to hear about your kitty. It seems you have had several difficult losses so recently. My heart hurts for you :(. Am hoping and praying for more sunshine and happiness for you instead of sorrow.

Blessings,
Colleen C.

Penny said...

I am so sorry about the loss of your special kitty, Leo.
I'm not sure if this will help you re: your broken treasures but several yrs ago I was regularly using a house cleaning service & one of their employees broke a china figurine that was very sentimental to me. She reported her accident to me then phoned her boss. Immediately the boss/owner came to my home & picked up all of the broken pieces of the figurine to take for repair. In about a month when he returned figurine to me I was amazed that it was back to it original state. But .... he would not tell me where it was repaired. One of the ladies from the cleaning crew thought her boss took broken china & ceramics to a local antique shop for repair.

Lisa said...

I'm sorry to hear about your Leo he looks like such a sweetie. I'm no help with ideas for repairing the china, but I have seen pots with broken pieces of china stuck to them mosaic style and they looked gorgeous. Just an idea for the bits you can't repair.

Jeanna said...

Oh no! I'm so sorry for your loss, Sinta. That is such a cute picture of Leo helping you in the sewing room.

Very strange that the collectibles mysteriously fell and broke. I hope that one of your other followers can offer some good advice as to how to handle them.

Karen said...

So sorry for your loss, he is a beautiful cat. He looks like my Spock that I lost 6 years ago and still miss. Aren't we glad we have pictures of our helpers?

QuiltSue said...

I am so sorry about the loss of your puss, he looked so gorgeous. Sorry too about the loss of your mementoes. I do hope you can get some of them mended.

Laura said...

I am so very sorry for the loss of your sweet Leo. He looked so much like my Taz, who died from a stroke a little over four years ago. He will always be in our hearts and Leo's picture brought tears to my eyes. You were so brave in your fight for Leo's life - you certainly did all you could. I'm also so sorry for the accident that caused the loss of your collectibles - so very strange. My thoughts are with you.

Michele said...

So sorry to hear about Leo! What a shock that must have been! I would have been terrified. Here we have alligators to look out for, no coyotes. You were very brave to save him. I'm so sorry about his passing. You have just had a rough week! A few years ago, the shelf in my closet, which holds up the hanging clothes beneath it, fell off the wall and made a huge mess! Clothes, drywall, books everywhere. Took me forever to get it all up again. It was time to clean out the closet anyway........I'll be thinking about you :-)

Thimbleanna said...

Oh no! I'm so sorry to hear about Leo - that's so sad. :-(
As for the China - there is actually a trend (I think Annie Cholewa recently posted about it) where broken dished are repaired with a go,d adhesive - the seams totally show and they become a beautiful part of the piece. I hope you can do something like that to salvage your precious pieces!

crazy quilter said...

I understand your sadness at the loss of sweet Leo. I am so sorry and know words cannot heal the hurt but sometime soften the blow. hugs for you.

paulette said...

That is just awful about you little Leo..and such a sweet helper! Good for you for getting him back!
Do you think it might have been an earthquake that loosened the shelf?