GoodReads Facebook Pinterest Instagram Email
Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Caution: Venting Ahead

Nothing quiltie going on here...


Yesterday I went to the Hair stylist to do a "practice" wedding hairstyle.


I was thinking something with the flavor of the retro look.
So, the color went on, the curlers went in, and under the dryer I sat.
The stylist was excited about the "look" and her partner just went to a class on wedding  make-up.
And I don't know how it happened but when I left there
I looked like a hooker... I kid you not! And an old one at that.
It was more of a look for a Halloween fest than a sweet mother of the groom look.
I got into my car... and not a minute to soon... before I left the parking lot and before I started to cry, I took photos.  They were to awful to share. I am not exaggerating here either! The hair was a mess. The lipstick was smudged and the eye color was aqua. I could have thrown up!
Is it not possible to leave a Beauty Shop... looking better, at least a little bit better... than when you entered?
I am severely traumatized. I know I'm not going back.
 I am going to have to rethink the whole wedding look idea.

It wasn't until I got an email from my friend Patty that my spirits were lifted a bit.
She had me go check out this blog she found.
It's not new but it is so very sweet.


It is the DottieAngel blog. I also saw this wonderful tutorial on her site that I thought I would share with you.
I swear I am going to learn how to crochet! Between this tutorial and the one by You Go Girl, On the Edge pillowcase tutorial, they have me hooked, so to speak!
But I won't attempt this prior to the wedding... just so you won't hear about some crazed woman chasing down a hair stylist with a crochet hook in her hand!

23 friends stopped by to chat:

Vickie E said...

that is sad...get a new stylist Quick!

Jodie said...

How awful, I think you need to find a new stylist who will listen to you and perhaps go in to meet her made up as you would normally to go out somewhere special, that way, if she is smart, she will take note of it. Wedding make up should reflect who you normally are, with a little extra to conceal spots for photography, otherwise, in years to come, you may not recognise yourself in the photos...lol. By the way, I love the images you added of the retro dresses...gorgeous! Goodluck!!

Nicole said...

Oh, have I ever been in your shoes. On the day my daughter got married, I went to the stylist for a simple French twist, which we had discussed at length prior to my appointment. She made me look like I had a helmet on my head. I left, walked around the mall with tears in my eyes, and then went back to the salon and told her it wouldn't do. She fiddled with it and it got better, but I am not happy with how I look in all those wedding pics.

Jonathan said...

That is awful! I've been there before with a bad stylist. You definitely need to find a new one that will listen to you and make you up the way you want to look. I admit that I'm dying of curiosity as to how you looked now though;-p LOL, sorry!
And I agree, those dresses are gorgeous! I've always wanted to make myself some pretty dresses like that, but I've never found a pattern that will work for my size.
Good Luck!

Sherri said...

Oh...I'm soo sorry...on a happier note...the crochet projects look great...you'll have to let me know how it goes...I really want to learn how!

Unknown said...

At least it was a practice run! You still have time to find someone else. My sister loved the practice run but then they messed up her style on her wedding day and she looked like the bride of Frankenstein instead of the Modern Bride look.
Ask someone about their stylist and give it another try, it's not permanent that's the other thing to remember!

Needled Mom said...

Oh man!!!! That is such an awful feeling. I am in that stage now as my regular guy retired and for six months I have been "trying" different stylists. UGH!!!!! I hope you can find a good one before the wedding.

Strlady said...

Okay, was I the only one that laughed my tush off with your story. You made that terrible experience sound hilarious. You look like a what? lol!

Seriously, last year my daughter graduated from college and I went in to my typical stylist to get a typical cut. Told her to leave it a bit longer since my daughter likes my hair long... When I walked out of there I looked like I had a mullet. It was so bad. I really didn't think much about it until I got home and styled it myself. The mullet was still there. When I got to NY we went to a cost cutter and I told the girl, "Cut off the tail". she knew exactly what I was talking about. So sad.

Good thing about your experience is that this was a trial run. You can get another stylist. Another makeup artist. My daughter is getting married next year and I know I'll be doing MANY test runs. I'm thinking that you might want to stick with the concept and just have someone else execute it. You might see something completely different. Any which way, I'm wishing you success for the next round.

Corrie said...

Come on...we need to see the pictures. I did laugh out loud, surprised the family. The strlady mullet story is good too :-). My hair gal retired to go pursue "art". So I've been trying stylists for over a year. In desperation, I called my gal, hoping to beg, plead...hoping she was cutting hair in her kitchen. She's not. She's in the middle of nowhere in AZ. :-(

Deb said...

Oh Boy, I feel your pain. Been there, actually STILL there! Like some of the others my stylist retired/disappeared. It is so hard to find some-one you are comfortable with and who actually LISTENS! Doesn't any-one know how to blend layers??? I have 2 actual levels..not pretty! My saving grace has been a set of hot rollers. Don't give up!! Good Luck!

mascanlon said...

Goodness after reading all these tales of woe I am very thankful that when my stylist of 25 yrs retired she "left" me to someone she knew could carry on. In fact 5 yrs later I'm still with my "new" stylist. Keep on trying, you've still got some time. I do love the concept.

PunkiePie (Jen) said...

Oh goodness! Don't give up just yet. You need to find another stylist. Your vision sounds great. They just didn't know how to pull it off.

Nanette Merrill said...

Oh Stina. Ohhh my. I can so relate. Chalk it up to GOOD experience. Now you know how you don't want to look for the wedding. You were smart to try it out. I would try several things out at home yourself - several different styles. My hair is so fine that it goes limp in a few minutes so it doesn't seem to matter who does it or how much time is spent. On my daughter's wedding day things were very tight time wise and I didn't get to spend time on myself, which I regret. So make sure you have plenty of time on the wedding day for yourself to feel like you can take a moment to feel your best.

Carrie said...

The bad news ~ you have to re-think the look and try something else.

The good news ~ you learned all this before the wedding day!

Do you know what always frustrates me the most about days and situations like this, we still feel like we have to pay them! I've never had the nerve not to, and I admit to being very envious of those ladies who have the chutzpah to tell the stylist what a horrible mess they've made, and how it is not at all what I wanted. I mean, do they really think it's an improvement?

And thank you for reminding me of my first professional make-up artist experience ~ at a high-end SoCal department store many years ago. The make-up on the make-up artist should have been the first indicator that this was an appointment that should be missed. First question when she was done? Where's the restroom? We all wound up in the bathroom laughing while we were washing our faces. :)

Regena@QuiltnQuiltthings said...

Sorry about the bad hair style. I'm sure you will find the look that works for you.
I wanted to let you know I posted my Schnibbles #9
Thanks
Regena

John'aLee said...

I am sooooo sorry!! Talk about a bad day! This could be a bad week...month...whatever depending on if you can fix it or not.
Hang in there honey!

Trisha said...

Sorry about the wedding look gone bad. That is so disappointing! I hope you are able to get a look you like for the wedding. On a happy note, congrats on your win over at Jaybird. I am so happy for you! :)

umbrellalady said...

I went to the same stylist for years and have taken a break to grow my hair longer once again. I was fed up with it one day and told my youngest daughter I was going to chop it off , to which she replied "I hope you are not going back to so-and-so; she never, ever gave you a haircut that looked good!" If this was the case - why did she not tell me years earlier? (She couldn't answer it either.) lol

Kiwifruit-Shiree said...

oh it sounds so so funny until you see the reality of it, and then it is all disaster!!! Find another hair stylist - FAST!! But the up side is that thankfully you had a practcie run!

Kelly@ Charming Chatter said...

Oh Sinta - I'm so sorry! I've had my share of bad hair-do's - and crying, too! Hope you find someone really awesome - and that you find that perfect look for your son's wedding!!!

Kim said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Kim said...

The crochet thing? Me TOO! I was looking at someone else's blog and she had gotten a book, Visually Crochet, and taught herself to crochet, so I ordered it. It arrived the other day and looks pretty cool! At one time, I could crochet squares--big and small--but I only knew one basic stitch; still, I think I could pick it up again. We'll have fun!

prashant said...

I think you need to find a new stylist
Adsense Alternative