GoodReads Facebook Pinterest Instagram Email
Wednesday, March 14, 2012

This Is How It Evolved


Although I have plenty of other projects in progress...
I was compelled to pull out some fabrics and just
play. 
 This is my experiment with making a fat Dresden.
I started at the 4" mark of the ruler so the bottom was the 4" and the top of the blade is 
7 1/2". The result is a block that is huge!
I am going to need to set it on a 20" background!

I found the perfect template...
my Fiestaware plate, turned upside down, to make the center circle.
That's a 12" plate. 
The blocks are fun... I believe I have enough blades to make 13 blocks.
It's going to be a pretty big quilt. 

 This is where I auditioned the fabric for the center of the Dresden.
The more polka dots the better!

And this is where it all started. 
I had previously cut out the blades and then sewed the ends of
320 blades... all in about 2 hours. 
I decided to just work with 20 blades at a time to clip, flip and press.
 I have the semi-instant gratification of one block

I also have been able to work on my Scottie dog quilt...
(I thought it was me, but it was the photo that is blurry, sorry)
I decided that we needed more dogs with bows. The
pattern only had one girl dog. I was originally going to add ric rac and other
embellishments to the dog collars like the pattern suggested... but I have a feeling that
this is a quilt that the soon to arrive grand child will be using...
so  the bows can replace the other embellishments.
I hope to get these rows sewn together tonight!

19 friends stopped by to chat:

PunkiePie (Jen) said...

It is going to be one BIG quilt. You said it! but I love it and I have Fiestaware too. :)

the scottie dogs are super cute too. Love the Sweetwater fabric.

Cardygirl said...

Love the Dresden...such a happy project...the Scottie dogs are cute too!

Linda said...

I love that block...it is so happy...and the scotty quilt is so darling...your soon to be grand child will love it!!

Carol said...

I like your if circles for your Dresden Plates. I have fabric all picked out for a Dresden quilt, just need more hours in the day to get to it. Your little Scottie Dog quilt is so cute, great baby quilt for your granddaughter.

Carol said...

Sometimes my iPad corrects my words, I meant to say: I like the big circles for your Dresden Plates.

Lesley said...

The dresden plate is so beautiful with those fabrics! Love it..and a big quilt just makes it better!! Those Scotties are terrific!

Betty Lou said...

Love your Dresdens and they are large. Cute little Scottie quilt, pefect for a new baby.

QUILTING IS BLISSFUL, DI said...

I love both of those quilts--
you are on a roll now, girl!!
Hugs, Di and miss gracie

prsd4tim2 said...

Oh, that Dresden is very cute and will look lovely anywhere. I'm thinking I'll have to try it. The 12-inch center is awesome!

Kristy said...

Very sweet doggies! I love your dresden. I got the template but I haven't gotten started yet. I want to make mine scrappy in the blades. Thanks for sharing! K-

Thelma said...

For someone who doesn't have much time to sew, you sure are making the most of each minute, I just love both projects. I'm hoping to get started on my dresden this summer, I was planning on going with a red background but I sure love your dots! I LOVE the scottie dogs with bows, can you ever have too many dogs wearing bows, I don't think so! Take Care Sinta!

Shelley said...

I often use a used up CD for a circle template too.

Needled Mom said...

Great Dresdens!!! The Scotties are super sweet too.

Nanette Merrill said...

dresdens are my favorite

Mary said...

Lovely and lovely! Your Dresden Plate really will be big. I love the idea of more bows on the Scotties for your granddaughter. That's going to be soooo cute!!!

Miss Jean said...

I LOVE the Scottie dog quilt!!!!!!!!!

Carrie said...

I'm thinking you've made a Dresden Charger Plate! A fabulous one!

I also love your Scottie quilt. Oh wait... I love everything you make. Maybe I should just leave comments saying ditto... ditto... ditto..

:)

Cindy said...

Love, love, love your Dresden!

❦Bayside Gal❦ said...

Such a pretty Dresden. Good use of dots and stripes. Lovely bright colors.