GoodReads Facebook Pinterest Instagram Email
Wednesday, February 3, 2016

The Lives We Share and Celebrate

I have a little mission that requires my 
attention...
so quilting is taking a backseat this week.

It will be my soon-to-be DIL's birthday this Saturday
and my plan is to use the occasion as an excuse to make a trial run at 
her (their) wedding cake.


Have you heard of Naked Cakes? 
I always hate how much frosting there is on wedding cakes…I love how this one looks rustic like a birch tree!:

That's what they want for their wedding.

We have a lot of birthdays between now and April...
so I have a feeling I will have it all mastered by then.

This was the wedding cake requested by my DDIL 5 years ago.


It turned out exactly like the photo.
But
am 
telling you
... I was stressed out!

I was certain that I was going to have a heart
attack just getting it to the site!

I'm anxious to play with this naked cake...

On a much sadder note...
we lost my husbands sister a couple weeks ago.
She was an angel. 
In life and now.
She will be dearly missed.

I want to share a photo that her daughter
took upon leaving her house to return to 
the hospital.


I hope you can see... 
maybe enlarge the photo more...
It just takes my breath away.
(do you see what looks like a dove at the top of
the photo over the sun)?
Displaying IMG_0137.jpg

Displaying IMG_0137.jpg
Displaying IMG_0137.jpg
Displaying IMG_0137.jpg

9 friends stopped by to chat:

Anonymous said...

It's not my imagination is it, there is a winged soul at the top of the photo? I lost my husband a year ago, and that's what I saw in this beautiful photo. Maybe it's just me. Thank you for the photo. I am a former Californian (x25 years) and I really miss the comfort of beach and waves.

On another note, the naked cake: there's an attraction there. I'm actually an icing junkie but what you usually need to use on a wedding cake or any other fancy cake is just not the same as buttercream. It has to last too long so the ingredients are different. I think you are quite the mama to take this on. I'd be calling the nearest bakery, myself. But, go for it. Stephani in N. TX (Tomazec@aol.com)

ytsmom said...

My condolences on your SIL. On a happier note, my niece had a naked cake for her wedding Jan 2. I didn't know that was a thing until you said. It was red velvet, and had fruit for decoration.

Kris said...

Sinta, I am so very sorry for the loss of your sister in law. That photo is amazing. I see both the odd sort of winged thing at top, as well as the aura in center. At any rate, what a neat shot! Should bring some bit of comfort.
Good luck with the cake. I didn't know that was a thing. But it looks as though it is what we cake decorators calling, dirty icing. We did that to let the cake set up overnight before icing all the way. I am sure you will do a fabulous job!
Hugs,
kris

Melody A. said...

I am sorry for your family's loss of such a special person. The photo is wonderful and does appear to have heavenly attachments. Good luck with the cake, that is quite a feat to do. But the cake you did do was fabulous so I am sure this one will be too. Blessings to you and yours.

Hildy said...

I'm so sorry for your and your family's loss and the photo is a great tribute to her.
I never heard of Naked Cakes but I know that sometimes the frosting on wedding cakes taste weird and much too sugary. Perhaps a Naked Cake is a great alternative. I've made a raspberry cream cake for a friend's wedding last year and it was quite the hit:-) If you wanna have the recipe I'm happy to send it to you but it's with gram.

Lesley said...

So sorry for your loss. The picture is phenomenal, and certainly evokes emotions. As for the cake, you are a sweetie and I'm sure you will have it mastered for the big event!

paulette said...

I am so sorry for your loss! What comfort that picture must bring. I would frame it! The cake is amazing! It's going to be wonderful! Good luck...keep us posted!

Jeanna said...

What a blessing to have such a sweet scene presented for you all to enjoy. There is a message meant to give you all comfort and I so hope that is the case. I'm sorry for your family's loss, praying for peace for you all.

You have a very good reason for not being in the sewing room for a bit. This is a big year for you.

gailss said...

I am so sorry for your loss Sinta and hope you and your husband and family find peace in lots of fond memories of your DSIL....
This is a first for me, naked cakes and wow, bet they are great.