GoodReads Facebook Pinterest Instagram Email
Thursday, July 21, 2011

I Got The Golden Ticket!

(photo from Pottery Barn)

I won't be needing this over the coming weekend!


Back on Mother's Day these wonderful children of mine got me a
special present....
a quilting retreat weekend with A Vintage Spool, Verna Mosquera!
Her work is just beautiful and I have collected her patterns nearly ever
since I started quilting... the only problem is
I never have learned to do the "A" word.
I have a big fat fear of it!
Applique? 
 I am considering it an applique boot camp disguised as
Sweet Treat Retreat...
it just lures you in doesn't it?
I am imagining Willy Wonka and the Oompa-Loompas ...
lots of fun and eye candy.
Well, we will just see about that!
I did take a lesson before by Barbara Jones of Quilt Soup.
It apparently did not sink in well.
So, I'm giving it another try... because Verna's patterns are wonderful and I want to be able to make them along with my patterns I have collected from Blackbird Designs, Acorn Quilt Co. and various others.
This is one of Verna's patterns, Primavera.


then there is this one, that was offered by Fat Quarter Shop.


And this one, her newest creation, Sugar Kisses!
Sugar Kisses

I hope she's patient and the other kids don't laugh at me!

I am heading out to the Bay Area for my Sweet Retreat!
I will be spending the evenings with my son and DIL-- even better!
The gift that keeps on giving! woohoo!

Wish me luck!

16 friends stopped by to chat:

Cardygirl said...

What marvellous children...a perfect gift! Have fun...I love applique...it is just learning a way that suits you...I am sure you will be fine!

Monica said...

I hadn't seen the candy quilt before! It's fabulous!

Have a great time at retreat and takes lots of pictures.

Deb said...

I hope that you have a wonderful time and learn all kinds of applique secrets!! Have fun!

Sandie @ crazy'boutquilts said...

Oh how fun!! I'm excited for you! Take lots of photo's and have a great time!!

paulette said...

Have fun!! Will be checking back to see what you have learned!
P

Cindy said...

You are going to have so much fun! I know you'll love applique once you practice a bit and it becomes so much easier. Her pattern are gorgeous! I got to see some at Market a few years ago - it was my favorite booth. In fact I think she won an award!

Cyndi said...

What a perfectly wonderful gift to get from your guys, Sinta! You are going to have a blast, I am sure! I don't know how to applique either, but maybe one of these days I'll give it a try! Have a fantastic time!

XOXO,

Cyndi

Linda said...

What thoughtful kids!! That's a great gift!

Anonymous said...

OMG, I wish you had told me you were going! I had a reservation and I cancelled because I have never done the big "A" either and was scared I'd be the only newbie there. Well, I hope you have a wonderful time for both of us. I can't wait to hear all about it!

Lisa D. said...

What a great gift. My friend, Kay Hobby, drove down from the Seattle area to attend this class, too. I hope you get to meet her and that you have fun!

Josie McRazie said...

You can do it!! I am new to quilting and I was impressed with myself, I actually think my applique work is almost better than my actual quilting! Best of luck!!

Linda said...

What a wonderful gift to treat you to!! I'm sure no one will laugh at you! Noel is a gorgeous quilt!!

Carrie said...

Have lots of fun! You'll love the a-word... You just need the right teacher and mind-set and you're all set. Which means you're all set to go!

By the way... Have fun!!

Rebecca P said...

What a wonderful gift. You will have a great time & I know you will catch on fast learning the big "A" It can be so relaxing to do. Have fun.

Nanette Merrill said...

Oh! What a great gift. Have fun. You can do this. I know you can.

Cheryl said...

What wonderful children you have!! I can't wait to hear about your retreat...I am sure the other kids will play nicely!