GoodReads Facebook Pinterest Instagram Email
Friday, March 25, 2011

Calm After The Storm

It's always beautiful the day after a storm.
I tried to take some pictures as I was driving...
which I am sure is just as wrong as texting while driving...
but this was the view as I was going into work this morning.




It has been one heck of a week. Lots of storm damage everywhere.
It looks like a tornado hit our town, trees are mangled and down everywhere.
I live just outside of Yosemite National Park, so if you have seen that in the news...
it's pretty much the same here. Most people have been without electricity all week.
Fortunately, I still have electricity and the creature comforts. But I actually couldn't get to work one day this week because the roads were closed due to the trees in the road and rock slides.
The upside was that I did get to sew all day that day! Hey!
And since I had electricity  I could still access the computer.
I even found a couple of new blogs... well new to me anyway... lots of interesting reading!

Anyway, that reminds me of when my husband and I were in Hawaii a few years ago.
We were in this shop with beautiful Hawaiian created items like jewelry, carvings... and quilts.
My husband struck up a conversation with the sales person while I was looking at the quilts and before I could stop him or catch his eye with the "ut-u-zip it" look he proceeded to tell this lady that his wife owned a quilt shop and was a quilter. I new what was coming... and I was dreading it!
The lady said "oh, where are you from"? And I told her Yosemite... in California. 
She had never heard of it.  (no surprise here)
But then her next question was "do you hand quilt"? And as I confessed that I did not, I could almost see her nose turn up! I kid you not.
She said that they only do traditional Hawaiian quilting, although a few do some other styles. I agreed that traditional Hawaiian quilting is beautiful... and kept eyeing the door hoping to make my escape from any further conversation.
Sometimes it's better just to not participate in a conversation, you know?


Who couldn't appreciate the beauty and workmanship on these?

They are stunning... and way way beyond my skill!

But I have made Hawaiian styled quilts...
This one was a pattern from Beyond the Reef. I really
like their other whimsical patterns too.
Jaybird (Julie) has some great photos of their booth at Road to California.
Anyway, another favorite to do on a stormy day is to watch old movies...
gotta love Barbara!



16 friends stopped by to chat:

Sherri said...

What a great post! It's so beautiful where you live, and even though it must have been a pain to deal with the storm and the roads...it's just gorgeous! I love the Hawaiian quilts as well! Hope you have a great weekend!

Unknown said...

What a lovely post :)

those quilts are fantastic!

I really smiled at the end ... I have that little video clip on my ipod, and whenever I'm feeling a little meh I give it a spin! - Works every time ... Bliss ...

Thanks for the jolt!

Kiwifruit-Shiree said...

what spectacular scenery and marvellous photos, the quitls are pretty spectacular also! I watched an old Barbara Streisand movie last night on the movie channel, "the Mirror has 2 faces" - quite an oldie but goodie!

Elaine said...

I love Hawaiian quilts. I make quite a few although now I own a longarm I must admit I machine quilt them. Your pineapple quilt is a great favorite theme of mine and I really like yours.

Brita said...

Yosemite, oh, my! We lived in the Bay Area in the 70s and every weekend we could get away we camped just outside Yosemite. God's Country, so beautiful. And yes, those Hawaiian quilts are pretty amazing! Thanks for the pictures of both Yosemite and the quilts.

PunkiePie (Jen) said...

What a view! Awesome pictures! Hawaiian quilts... not for me but the work that is put into them - AWESOME!

Karen said...

If you only knew what a huge fan I am of Funny Girl - loved the video - thanks for a walk down memory lane. Loved the quilts too!!!

QUILTING IS BLISSFUL, DI said...

I did not realize that you had some troublesome weather out your way--sorry--but glad to hear that you where ok and that you left the lights on!!!
I have done alittle of the Hawaii blocks--and I do like doing there method--but?????
nice quilts you have done--
well stay save--
Hugs,di and miss gracie

Dandelion Quilts said...

What a week for you. We had a snow day on Weds for "snow" and ice. Luckily it cleared up quickly. Look at those beautiful quilts from your trip.....I knew what that lady was going to say too, and I say we can all appreciate and enjoy many forms of quilting.

umbrellalady said...

What a beautiful area you live in! I would love to have such a great view to soak up on the way to work!

Thelma said...

Ha ha!! I'm relieved the storm has passed and plan to follow your lead, I'm not going to participate in certain conversations either!

Appalachian Mercantile said...

Those Hawaiian quilts are stunning, as are the views where you live! So very jealous!

Blessings...

Unknown said...

Gorgeous scenery and beautiful quilts!

Thanks for sharing. :)

Cheryl said...

Pretty picture, but so sorry about the storms and damage. Yosemite is one of our favorites places and we try to get in a camping trip at least once each year. Those quilts are BEAUTIFUL!

Vesuviusmama said...

I LOVE your Hawaiian style quilts! And anyone who turns their nose up, well, who needs 'em? Those traditional quilts are lovely, but I'd take one of yours over theirs any day!

Barbara said...

What beautiful pictures of the Hawaiian quilts. I just finished reading Jennifer Chiaverini's book The Aloha Quilt which tells about creating and making a Hawaiian quilt. Your pictures really brought that to life.