GoodReads Facebook Pinterest Instagram Email
Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Who Doesn't Love Julie?


I love musicals. There I said it!

I admit it wholeheartedly!

And this one is my all-time favorite!

The Sound of Music...


On November 16, 1959 the Sound of Music opened on Broadway. That was 50 years ago! (Luckily, I can say that I never saw it on Broadway. )
But I did see it at the movie theater.

I love the story, the characters and the music.
I still fall back on the songs... like when I'm feeling sad...

you know it... and you know you want to sing it...

"these are a few of my favorite things"!

I think it was last year that Moda Lissa had a little contest to make up a song with Moda in it.

I took a stab at it, quickly, and entered... and won!


Just because it's the anniversary of the Sound of Music I'll go ahead and share it with you:


Raindrops on windows and winters with Moda,

Bright colored ric rack and warm cozy flannels,

Stacks of fat quarters all tied up with strings

These are a few of my favorite things

Cream colored backgrounds and crisp folded cottons

Doorbells, sleigh bells and packages from United (Notions)

Patterns to play with from Moda’s designers

These are a few of my favorite things

A sewing room filled with fabrics, jelly rolls & charms

Threads that stay on my nose and eyelashes

Silver white winters that melt into springs

These are a few of my favorite things

When the stores close

When the needle breaks

When I'm feeling sad
I simply remember my favorite things

And then I don't feel so bad!

Have a supercalafragalistic-expialadosish day!

Oh no, wait... that's a different musical!

21 friends stopped by to chat:

Unknown said...

HA! Loved that one. I adored, and still do, Sound of Music growing up. Julie Andrews is one of my favorite actress.

QUILTING IS BLISSFUL, DI said...

I love your poem--you really did a great job on it--and I really think it is sooo true!!! Sound of Music has a special meaning for me too as a movie--I believe it began playing in theaters in 1966-67!!!
Hugs, Di

Allyson said...

I too, dearly love The Sound of Music. I've always wanted to go on the Sound of Music Tour in Austria. Google it, it's amazing. It would be so cool to stand in the same places we've all seen in the movie. When I was about twelve, my Aunt worked for Maria Von Trapp in the Von Trapp Lodge in Vermont. We spent our summers there and one of my favorite memories is meeting Maria. (She didn't sing for us)

Jewel said...

My name is Julie Ann... my best firend calls me Drews... you do the math LOL

Needled Mom said...

FABULOUS!!!!!! Congratulations!

eva said...

I too LOVE sound of music....

I must watch it at least 5 or 6 times a year... I never tire of it.... although i could probably recite the whole thing...

I too am...of that age... :)

xo
e.

Natys said...

i love musicals and of course julie´s are the best.
Your song is definetly gonna make me smile when i be sad.
i saw the sound of music last week AGAIN.
You let me singing

Aimee said...

This is too cute! I have an aunt I would spend Christmas vacation with and she would go around the house singing this song, so your little ditty brought back sweet memories. Congratulations on winning!

Jean said...

Good job... although, it's a good thing that the people who wrote Sound of Music... didn't have you write their words... let's just say they don't have quite the same feeling! You did totally hit the nail on the head for a good sewing song though!! LoL... congrats on winning... Aren't musicals great!
We raised our kids on them... now they have taught their spouses to enjoy them too... to the point that the 1st SIL was singing a song from 7 Brides from 7 Brothers while sking down a mountain slope with my DH... too funny!
Enjoy your day!

Julie said...

I love your song! I was in sixth grade something like that when my Mom and Dad took us to see the movie! And yes I do have it on DVD!!!

Stina Blomgren said...

Love it too.. they could make real film and movies back then..:o)

Loves to Quilt said...

That was great. I sang right along with your "lyrics". And, yes, I saw the movie.

Sherri said...

Loved your poem!!! Then and now!!! Congrats! And yes, that's one of my favorite movies too!

Simone de Klerk said...

This is so much fun to sing along! I can imagine you won. Thank you for sharing. It is definitely one of my favorite movies and musical.

Vals Quilting said...

that's is so adorable, love it and thanks for sharing. Moda's heart must have been all a flutter :)
Valerie
http://www.pastimesonline.ca/vals-quilting/

an encourager said...

That was awesome!!!!! No wonder you won!!!!

PunkiePie (Jen) said...

That's just GREAT!

Vesuviusmama said...

The Sound of Music, My Fair Lady, Mary Poppins - what great memories and great music!

Cindy said...

I LOVE musicals too. My favorite one is White Christmas with Mr. Bing Crosby. Who doesn't love his crooning voice?

Rachel said...

The Sound of Music is my ABSOLUTE favourite movie of all time. The other two that round out my top 3 are also musicals - The Wizard of Oz and My Fair Lady.

I love your version of My Favourite Things. No wonder you won the contest! You might find me singing that around the house now...

Jaclyn said...

That's one of my favorites too!